When driving for extended amounts of time we put a lot of stress and strain on our eyes. Since when driving our eyes are constantly in motion, focusing and refocusing as objects approach, and contending with distractions, keeping your eyes well-rested and preventing them from becoming strained in the first place should always be a top priority. Following the advice and tips below from our friends over at The Vision Council will help ensure that you are taking the appropriate vision-related precautions while behind the wheel and on the road.
- Always wear prescription eyewear when driving and be sure that your glasses are clean.
- Even when you are behind the wheel or in a car as a passenger you should still wear sunglasses that provide protection from UV.
- Consider wearing no-glare or polarized lenses that allow more light to enter the eye, minimizing glare coming from the road or other objects.
- Take breaks when driving long distances to reduce eye strain and fatigue.
- Keep headlights, taillights and the windshield – inside and outside – clean.
- Receive regular eye exams by an eye care provider to ensure that your eyes are healthy and that your prescription remains current.
Now that you know what you need to prevent eye strain while driving, stop in Schmidt’s Optical and Hearing™ in Stuart FL. and find everything you need to make your driving experience safer and more comfortable.