Tinnitus can be exasperating – that irritating noise just won’t go away! Many people find relaxation exercises are helpful. Here are a few you can try at home.
It’s important to be comfortable before starting the tinnitus relaxation exercises:
- Sit in a comfortable chair in a quiet place
- Do the exercises while listening to relaxing music. Turn the music off if it distracts you.
- Take off your shoes and wear loose and comfortable clothing
- Progressive muscle relaxation – While sitting down, focus on the muscles in one area of your body – like your right foot. Inhale and tighten only the muscles you are concentrating on for 8 seconds. Release them by suddenly letting go. Let the tightness and pain flow out of the muscles while you slowly exhale. Continue this progression systematically from your head down to the feet.
- Deep breathing – Repeat the following sequence 20 times:
- Exhale completely through your mouth
- Inhale through your nose for 4 seconds
- Hold your breath for 4 seconds
- Exhale through your mouth for 6-8 seconds
- Guided imagery – Once you are relaxed from your deep breathing exercise, close your eyes and continue to breathe deep while you imagine yourself in the most relaxing environment possible. Imagine the scene with all your senses: The smell of the beach, the feel of the air, the taste of your favorite beverage. Use relaxing background music to become even more comfortable.
Relief with Music Therapy
Music therapy can also counteract your tinnitus. Typical sounds used in tinnitus management can include amplified sounds from hearing aids, environmental sounds, and music or “white noise”. Try Widex´ Zen Simulator to learn more about how music therapy can help relieve your tinnitus
Relief with Widex Zen Therapy
Widex Zen Therapy can help you reduce stress, sleep difficulties, and overcompensation by the brain because of hearing deficits. The Zen Therapy Program is a highly original hearing aid feature that has been shown in a clinical study to be a promising tool for tinnitus relief. The patented Zen Program is available exclusively in Widex hearing aids.
At Schmidt’s Optical and Hearing™ we carry a wide variety of Widex brand hearing aids with the Zen Program available. Our Board Certified Hearing Aid Specialist has years of experience working with people who have tinnitus. Call Schmidt’s Optical and Hearing™ today at 772-286-4327 and schedule your FREE comprehensive hearing screening with our Board Certified Hearing Aid Specialist.